Friday, March 20, 2009

What's Gak?




We had a blast making gak (aka ooblek or slime) It was so cool to watch it come together. The kids are having a blast with it.
Jaydie said: (while giggling) It feels like a baby's bum.

I asked Averi what she thought it felt like and she said: "Um, I don't know... it feels like, well I guess I never felt a pig before...." How cute is she?

I have seen this recipe before at an Early Childhood Conference but I came across it again on a friends blog. I finally decided to give it a try. We tried a couple recipes and I liked hers the best so I have included it here.


In a small bowl mix:
2 regular size bottles of Elmer's glue
3/4 cup water
A few drops of food coloring

In a large bowl mix:
1 tsp. Borax
1/2 cup HOT water (stick it in the microwave for a minute just for good measure)

Now, pour the glue mixture over the borax mixture. Let it sit for a minute and then gently stir. Pour off any excess water. It's going to look weird and kind of stringy, but once the kids get their hands on it, it will come together.

4 comments:

Jen said...

So what, you just happened to have Borax kickin' around? ;P

Cristy said...

No but I bought it at the grocery store. It's in the laundry aisle and it does a great job getting my clothes, dishes, sinks... everything... cleaner, go and buy some ;)

Jen said...

Hmm, sweet. Borax, it reminds me of that moron Borat. Eww.

Kelli said...

fun! and averi melts my heart. borax or borat?